The following steps are what I followed to get WSS 3.0 successfully running on my Windows Server 2003 Virtual Machine.
- Installed the Application Server (IIS) and Mail Server (POP3/SMTP) Roles.
Administrative Tools –> Manage Your Server, click on the Add or remove a role link, and follow the instructions to add the two roles above.
- Install Microsoft .NET 2.0.
- Check that ASP.NET 2.0 is an allowed web extension.
For me this took a few steps, because ASP.NET didn’t even show up in the list for me in Web Extensions. To fix this, open a command prompt (Start –> Run), then navigate to the v2.0.50727 directory under C:\Windows\Microsoft .NET\Framework. Once you are there, type the following command.
aspnet_regiis.exe -iru -enable
After you get the successful message, go back to Web Extensions under IIS and refresh. You should then see ASP.NET v2 in the list and allowed. If it isn’t allowed, click to allow it.
- Download the latest version of WSS 3.0. You can get that here.
- I just used Basic install. After the install was finished, I accepted to allow SharePoint to configure.
- After this finished, it browsed to my WSS 3.0 Portal!